Aquaponics - Success

Success! I've actually managed to out-smart my fish. This last thwarter was made from a plastic mesh designed to keep leaves out of your gutters.

It's a good thing I'm learning on my small blue barrel system. I'd hate to be making all these adjustments on, and drilling holes in, my big system.

I just spent an hour trying to get my auto siphon to work again.

In order to prevent my fish tank from getting too cold overnight, I tried turning off the pump during the hours of darkness (I now have a small air pump for oxygenation). The downside to this was an increase in ammonia and nitrite levels.


- The nitrates values are divided by 100 so they fit on the graph. (I'm told nitrates can safely be over a thousand, so nitrates are not a concern)

I think my nitrite and ammonia levels are still within safe limits, and it was only for one night, but I've decided to go back to running the pump overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts